Roland joined D’Empaire as a partner in 2019, focusing on Corporate Finance, Financing Transactions, Insolvency and Debt Restructuring, M&A and Oil & Gas. He holds a law degree from the Universidad Catolica Andres Bello (2006), a Diploma in Finance from the University of California – Berkeley (International Diploma Program, Extension), and a postgraduate degree in International Business from the Universidad Metropolitana.
Roland also holds a certificate of the Mediating Disputes Program at Harvard Negotiation Institute. He is the Director/Academic Coordinator of the Negotiation Program of the Centro de Investigacion y Estudios para la Resolucion de Controversias (CIERC) at Universidad Monteavila. He has published a series of academic works and has participated as speaker on different events and discussions on the topic of Venezuela’s sovereign debt restructuring and the insolvency of PDVSA. Roland is currently the only Venezuelan member at the International Insolvency Institute and INSOL International.
Recent relevant experience includes:
- Advising a multinational investment bank in complex structured financing transactions with a State-owned company
- Advising a multinational investment bank in bullion swap derivatives transactions with a central bank
- Advising investment funds in distressed trades under LSTA
- Advising and serving as lead counsel to multiple upstream service providers in commercial debt securitization transactions with a national oil company
- Advising multinational upstream service providers in different structured financing deals for Venezuela’s oil joint ventures
- Advising multinational upstream service providers in project financing deals involving incremental oil production