Roberto’s practice focuses on general corporate law matters, oil and gas matters, mergers and acquisitions, foreign currency exchange control regulations and real estate related transactions. He also advises Venezuelan private companies and high-net-worth individuals on corporate restructurings and tax planning matters. He received a J.D. from Universidad Catolica Andres Bello in 2000. Before joining D’Empaire in 2012 (he became partner in 2014), Roberto worked as a senior associate at Romero-Muci & Asociados (a member firm of Deloitte) from 2002 to 2012, and junior associate at Andersen Legal from 2000 to 2002.
His representations include:
- Henkel AG & Co. KGaA in its acquisition of Grace Venezuela from GCP Applied Technologies
- A major European oil and gas company in the negotiation of a multi-million dollar drilling contract with a Venezuelan state-owned company
- Maurel & Prom in its acquisition of a 40 percent equity participation in Petroregional del Lago from Shell
- Bayer, as Venezuelan counsel providing ongoing legal advice on corporate law matters
- A US private equity firm in the acquisition of an office building in Caracas and several residential properties
- Pirelli in the sale of its Venezuelan subsidiary
- Rosneft on several matters concerning its oil and gas projects in Venezuela
- Sojitz Corporation in the sale of its promissory notes issued by Venezuela in connection with the acquisition of Corporación Venezolana de Guayana (CVG) by the Government of Venezuela
- Chevron in several matters concerning its oil and gas projects in Venezuela
- Weatherford in its reorganization and capitalization plan for its Venezuelan subsidiaries
- Marubeni Corporation in the partial implementation of a crude oil sale agreement with PDVSA
- Sojitz Corporation in matters concerning the collection of amounts due under certain promissory notes issued by Venezuela in connection with the acquisition of CVG
- A Venezuelan private investor in the sale of a real estate property to the Russian Federation’s Embassy in Caracas
- A Venezuelan private investor in a joint venture for the potential development of one of Caracas largest shopping center
- Seguros Mercantil in its acquisition of Seguros Orinoco
Roberto is currently ranked as a “Next Generation Lawyer” by The Legal 500 (2018 Venezuela Corporate/M&A Rankings).
He is fluent in Spanish and English.