Carlos specializes in Venezuelan sovereign and quasi-sovereign international financings, oil and gas projects and corporate law. Before joining D’Empaire in 1995 (he became partner in 2001), Carlos worked as a trainee at the New York offices of Shearman & Sterling in 1995. He received a J.D. from Universidad Catolica Andres Bello in 1992, and an M.C.J. from New York University in 1994.
Notable experience and representations include:
- ABN AMRO BANK, as sole lead arranger and dealer manager in the offer and sale of PDVSA’s US$3.0 billion principal amount of 5.25% Notes due 2017, PDVSA’s US$3.0 billion principal amount of 5.375% Notes due 2027 and PDVSA’s US$1.5 billion principal amount of 5.50% Notes due 2037
- Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) in a multi-billion dollar structured financing for PDVSA
- Deutsche Bank Securities in connection with Siderurgica del Turbio’s US$100 million 10% notes due 2016, and related bridge financing facility
- ABN AMRO Bank and a banking syndicate in connection with the US$135 million Pre-Export Finance Facility granted to C.V.G. Ferrominera Orinoco C.A.
- ABN AMRO, Calyon Securities and Deutsche Bank in connection with the offering of US$1.5 billion Bonds due 2016 and US$1.5 billion Bonds due 2020 issued by the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- Deutsche Bank and UBS Securities in connection with the offering of €1 billion 7% Global Bonds due 2015 issued by the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- Deutsche Bank Securities and JP Morgan in the tender offer, consent solicitation and repurchase of US$2.6 billion notes by PDVSA Finance Ltd.
- CSFB International in connection with the offering of US$1.5 billion 5.375% Notes due 2010 and the repurchase of US$3.8 billion Brady Bonds issued by the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
Carlos is currently ranked as “Band 1” by Chambers & Partners (2019 Venezuela Banking & Finance Rankings) and The Legal 500 describes him as “highly professional” and “well regarded” (2018 Venezuela Banking & Finance Rankings).
He is fluent in Spanish and English.