Alberto advises multinationals, Venezuelan companies, banks and private clients on a wide range of tax issues. He has represented several major corporations on corporate transactions and international tax matters, and regularly advises families and banks on tax and estate planning issues. Before joining D’Empaire in 1998 (he became partner in 2005), Alberto worked as an associate at the Washington D.C. offices of Wilmer, Cutler, Pickering (1997). He was a member of the Venezuelan team that conducted and completed the negotiations of the U.S.-Venezuela Tax Treaty in 1998.
Alberto studied law at Universidad Catolica Andres Bello (J.D. summa cum laude, 1996) and received an LL.M. in Taxation from the New York University (1997). He currently teaches tax law at Universidad Catolica Andres Bello.
Recent representations include:
- The Kraft-Heinz Company, in the transfer of shares between affiliate entities in Venezuela
- Bristol-Myers Squibb, in several transactions involving its Venezuelan subsidiary
- Mercantil Servicios Financieros, on the Venezuelan tax implications of the spinoff of its
- Sanofi-Aventis de Venezuela, in a corporate restructuring
- Several private banks on the tax implications of fiduciary structures for Venezuelan
Alberto is currently ranked in “Band 1” by Chambers & Partners (2019 Venezuela Tax Rankings) and as a “Leading Lawyer” by The Legal 500 (2018 Venezuela Tax Rankings). He has been continuously recognized as one of the leading tax practitioners in Venezuela by Chambers Global, Practical Law Review and World Tax, and was also included by Latin Lawyer in the list of top Venezuelan counsel under 40.
He is fluent in Spanish and English.