José Humberto Frías
+58 212 264 6244 (general)
+58 212 264 6289 (direct)
José Humberto Frías is a partner in D’Empaire Reyna Abogados since 2005. He is specialized in competition law, public and regulatory law and international arbitration.
He has been consistently top ranked by Chambers Latin America as one of the best competition/antitrust and public law lawyers in Venezuela.
He has participated in many of the most significant competition/antitrust cases in Venezuela in the last years, including his representation of:
• BTG Pactual in the acquisition of Brasil Telecom Venezuela
• Global Crossing in the regulatory approvals of its acquisition by Level 3
• Visa International in an investigation on the merchant discount rates in Venezuela
• Telecom Italia Mobile (TIM) in connection with the regulatory approvals for the sale of Corporation Digitel to Telvenco
• United Airlines in an investigation brought by the Venezuelan travel agencies’ association against the major carriers operating in Venezuela
• Procter & Gamble in its acquisition of Gillette
• Pfizer in its acquisition of Pharmacia
• Pfizer in an unfair competition case related to Lipitor and Celebrex
• Cemex in an investigation of the cement industry in Venezuela; and
• The Coca-Cola Company in the formation of a joint venture company with The Cisneros Group.
José Humberto Frías has represented international and Venezuelan clients (including Telecom Italia, Cemex, sanofi-avents, among others) in several important cases before the Constitutional and Administrative Chambers of the Supreme Court. He has also advised clients in complex administrative and regulatory matters, including his representation of Santander, Cemex, Ternium and AEI Energy in nationalizations.
He has also represented international and Venezuelan clients in arbitrations under several rules systems and arbitral institutions, including the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and ICSID.
Before joining D’Empaire Reyna, he worked with the Venezuelan antitrust authority (Procompetencia). He also worked as a foreign associate at the New York office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP in 2001. José Humberto Frías studied law at Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, Caracas (J.D. 1993) and received an LLM from McGill University, Montreal (2000). He is fluent in Spanish and English