+58 212 264 6244 (general)
+58 212 264 4681 (directo)
+58 414 312 9512 (celular)
Fulvio Italiani is considered one of the leading M&A and corporate lawyers in Venezuela. He has participated in most of the significant acquisition, financing and oil and gas transactions taking place in Venezuela in the last years. Fulvio Italiani has been consistently ranked as a star individual for M&A/Corporate by Chambers Latin America.
Fulvio was honored with an award for “Outstanding Contribution to the Legal Profession” at the 2013 Chambers Latin America Awards for Excellence. According to Chambers & Partners, Fulvio Italiani was selected for the prestigious award in recognition of “his business skills and legal expertise which have been of great benefit to national and multinational companies investing in the challenging economic climate of Venezuela.” Chambers & Partners also mentioned that Fulvio “handles some of the largest financing and M&A deals in the country” and “is particularly celebrated for his dedication to his clients and his ability to find creative solutions to the most challenging problems.” Fulvio has also been named one of “Latin America’s Top 50 Legal Stars” by Latin Business Chronicle.
As part of his vast experience, Fulvio has represented:
• Rosneft as Venezuelan counsel in its acquisition of TNK BP
• The Carlyle Group as Venezuelan counsel in its acquisition of DuPont Performance Coatings
• The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) in a US$1.5 billion Pre-Paid Export Finance Facility to Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A.
• AEI and The Williams Companies Inc. in the sale of Accroven to PDVSA Gas for US$214 million
• Banco Santander in the sale of Banco de Venezuela to the Venezuelan government for US$1.05 billion
• Ternium in the sale of Sidor to the Venezuelan government for US$1.97 billion
• CNPC Services in connection with an oil and gas services joint venture with PDVSA Servicios
• DaimlerChrysler as Venezuelan counsel in connection with the transfer of its majority interest in the Chrysler Group to a subsidiary of Cerberus Capital Management, L.P., a private-equity company based in New York for US$7.4 billion
• McDonald’s Corp. as Venezuelan counsel in the US$700 million sale of approximately 1,600 restaurants in Latin America and the Caribbean to a franchisee organization led by Wood Staton
• Ashmore Energy International (AEI) in the sale of Vengas, C.A., the leading Venezuelan domestic gas distributor, to PDVSA Gas
• ABN Amro and Econoinvest Casa de Bolsa in the tender offer for Compañía Anónima Nacional Teléfonos de Venezuela (CANTV) made by the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela for US$1.7 billion
• the Board of Directors of C.A. La Electricidad de Caracas (EDC) in the tender offer for EDC made by Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA) for US$900 million
• Teléfonos de México, S.A. de C.V. (Telmex) and América Móvil, S.A. de C.V. in their agreement with Verizon Communications, Inc. to acquire Verizon’s equity interest in Compañía Anónima Nacional Teléfonos de Venezuela (CANTV), for US$676.6 million
• The AES Corporation in its US$1.8 billion unsolicited tender offer for C.A. La Electricidad de Caracas
• Sidor Ternium in its US$1 billion and US$1.8 billion financial restructurings
• Empresas Polar in its US$501 million negotiated tender offer for Mavesa S.A.
• The AES Corporation and C.A. La Electricidad de Caracas in their joint US$1.4 billion unsolicited tender offer for Compañía Anónima Nacional Teléfonos de Venezuela (CANTV)
• Empresas Polar in the US$568 million sale of its shareholding in Unión de Cervecerías Peruanas Backus & Johnston S.A.A. (Backus), to Grupo Empresarial Bavaria.
He has also represented international and Venezuelan clients in arbitrations under several rules systems, including the ICC rules, and acted as the chairman of an arbitration panel in connection with a dispute involving a joint venture agreement between a Venezuelan company and a U.S. company.
Fulvio Italiani has been considered over the years one of the best corporate/M&A and finance lawyers in Venezuela by Chambers Global, Chambers Latin America, The Legal 500 and Latin Lawyer 250 and was included in the list of top Venezuelan lawyers under 40 by Latin Lawyer (2003). He has also been ranked as a Venezuelan leading lawyer by PLC Which Lawyer and IFLR 1000.
Fulvio Italiani is a partner in D’Empaire Reyna Abogados. Before becoming a partner at D’Empaire, Fulvio Italiani worked as an associate at the New York office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP from 1993 to 1996. He studied law at Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, Caracas (J.D. summa cum laude, 1990). He is fluent in Spanish, English and Italian.